- About Us
- Our Work
- Our Certification
- Our Publications
- Our Blog
- Take Action
Fair Trade Intern
|Hours:||Approx 16 hours/week|
|Compensation:||Unpaid, but course credit available|
|Supervisor:||Fair Trade Campaigns Director|
|Dates:||One Semester, approx. 12 weeks|
|Deadline:||Open until filled|
Green America (www.greenamerica.org) is a nonprofit, membership organization whose mission is to harness economic power—the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace—to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.
We are currently seeking an intern to assist with many aspects of our fair trade program, including coordinating correspondence and outreach with members of our Fair Trade Alliance and promoting and organizing our Fair Trade awareness building campaigns.
The Fair Trade Alliance is a unique network of workplaces, schools, faith congregations, businesses, community groups and more working to promote Fair Trade in their communities.
The Fair Trade Intern will work with the Fair Trade Campaigns Director and Program Director on the following:
Fair Trade Alliance Activities:
1) Support Alliance members in their efforts to conduct community level outreach about Fair Trade including locating resource materials for events, connecting Alliance members with Fair Trade businesses, promoting events, helping with media outreach, etc.
2) Increase membership in the Alliance through outreach to Green America members and allied organizations via email, mail, Web promotion, and events
3) Develop handouts and resources for Alliance members
4) Perform outreach and cultivation calls and emails to members of the alliance to deepen their level of commitment to Fair Trade, assist them with their own organizing effort, and provide the encouragement and inspiration they need to remain dedicated and empowered Fair Trade advocates.
5) Help write and distribute the monthly E-newsletter to Alliance members; work with program director on content development and Web developer on newsletter layout
6) Respond to member requests for information and resources
Fair Trade Promotion Activities:
1) Help to organize a Fair Trade Pavilion at Green Festivals – recruit speakers and participants to conduct fair trade tastings. The Green Festival brings thousands of people to a weekend-long exploration of green living and consuming. The promotion of Fair Trade and fair trade products is an essential component of the festival.
2) Assist in the creation of content about fair trade for Green America’s web sites and publications.
3) Assist in the creation of actions that encourage corporations to sell fair trade products.
4) Assist with the execution of the Fair Trade Your Supermarket campaign and the Raise the Bar, Hershey Campaign by updating the website, tracking participation, mailing educational kits, and assisting participants via email as necessary.
Ideal applicant will:
1) Be passionate about promoting global economic justice through Fair Trade.
2) Have some knowledge of Fair Trade; participation in university or community activity to promote Fair Trade a plus.
3) Be interested in talking to and organizing members of the Alliance.
4) Have excellent oral and written communication skills
5) Have some familiarity with effective online promotion and outreach
6) Be able to use Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, Excel and other Microsoft applications.
7) Be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Application Instructions:If interested please send cover letter, resume, and one page non-academic writing sample to Elizabeth O’Connell, Green America, 1612 K Street, Suite 600, Washington, D.C. 20006 or email email@example.com. Or Fax to 202-331-8166. Please put Fair Trade Internship in the subject line of the email. No calls, please.