Green Business Network™ Marketing and Communication Intern
||16 hrs/week, flexible during Mon-Thurs business hours
||Unpaid, course credit available
|| Green Business Network Marketing and Communications Coordinator
||Summer 2013 - May to August
||Open until filled
Green America (formerly Co-op America) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a just and sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change. Our unique approach involves working with consumers, investors, and businesses in their unique roles as economic actors. Our workplace reflects our goal of creating a more cooperative, environmentally sound economy. We have a participatory decision-making process that aims to build consensus within the departments and teams.
Green America's Green Business Network (GBN) is the first and largest association of socially and environmentally responsible businesses in the nation. Working together, GBN combines community, environmental sustainability, and social justice in a way that builds each business, benefits everyone, and helps heal the planet. The GBN team provides all key services to the approximately 3,000 members that work at the intersection of sustainability and business.
The GBN Marketing & Communications Intern will work directly with the staff of GBN to grow the membership base and communicate to current members.
This position is an excellent career-building opportunity. Recommended for an individual who wants to combine strategic marketing and technical skills in the area of membership development. It also offers the chance to work with an organization that has been a long-time thought leader, innovator, and collaborator in growing the green marketplace and within a committed, fun community.
- Working together with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator, create strategic online communications to current and prospective business members, including emails, promotional and informational web content, news articles, and social media posts.
- Participate in marketing database development.
- Optimize web content for search engines to increase website traffic.
- Assist with webinar production and related communications.
- Edit graphics for web publishing.
- Improve and expand on website content.
- Contribute to work on additional types of media creation, such as video and podcasting.
- Assist in preparation for events, snail mail projects, and periodic workplace tasks as needed.
- Update membership data as needed.
- Passion for social and environmental justice
- Strong interest in working with and learning about small businesses committed to the green marketplace.
- Web savvy: Can you google a problem and figure out a solution? Do you have a good sense of what makes for compelling web content?
- Basic HTML skills. Independent training provided to level you up if needed.
- Comfort with updating and making changes to websites.
- Strong desire to utilize and deepen web development and graphic design skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills, especially for the web and social media.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to take initiative in flagging concerns/problems and offering possible solutions.
- Comfort working independently in a highly collaborative environment where creativity is encouraged.
- Preference for individual studying marketing, sustainability, business development and/or technology.
Send your resume and a cover letter to Nick Biber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No calls please.
Due the volume of applications we receive, we will not respond to every application we receive. If we wish to contact you for an interview you will hear from us by phone or email.
Return to Jobs and Internships »