Web and Online Engagement Systems Intern
||May 19, 2014 - August 15, 2014, with possibility to extend
||part-time/flexible, 20 hrs/week
||Online Systems Developer
||Open until filled
Are you an aspiring web developer and want to put your skills to “good” use? Green America (www.greenamerica.org) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to harness economic power — the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace — to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society. And we are looking for an intern to help us use the power of the internet and electronic communication to empower consumers and businesses in this mission.
The Web and Online Engagement Systems intern will be responsible for changes to existing and development of new pages on our website, producing and delivering our newsletter, action and donation pages, enhancements of internal applications, and assisting our goals to improve our website.
Furthermore, the intern will work with the Online Marketing and Engagement Team to develop new webpages from scratch, including landing pages for SEO and optimized for marketing conversions. This is an opportunity for the intern to take on projects from requirements gathering, through development, to implementation. This is also a good way to learn about and carry out industry best practices in regards to webpage optimization.
The intern must be comfortable working both as a team member and independently as well as managing deadlines and workload while new tasks continually surface.
Things you may learn:
- How to create effective online advocacy campaigns that change the world.
- The thrill of starting with a concept and seeing it into production.
- How to set up a Linux web server, from scratch, in minutes.
- Mobile-first web development with SASS+Compass.
- The joys of good web typography.
- Version control with git.
- The awesomeness of pair-programming.
- The joys of working in a collaborative, cooperative work environment.
- Use our online engagement platform Salsa to create action and donation pages, as well as deliver our e-newsletter
- Make enhancements to existing web pages, sometimes with backend functionality.
- Implement needed enhancements or fixes to internal applications.
- Work to create landing pages that are engaging and effective
- Web development experience with a back-end scripting language (PHP, ColdFusion, etc)
- Experience with CMS platforms such as Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
- Dreamweaver or similar web application development tool
- Experienced in testing web applications during development
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to handle changing priorities and multiple tasks
- Experience working with a team, and able to work with loose team structures and diverse teams
- Experience with newsletter and email automation systems (Salsa, Convio, Luminate Online, Salesforce, etc.)
- Course work in Computer Science, Information Services/Systems, Web Development, Online Marketing, SEO or related area of study
- Interested in social and environmental justice
- Personable with a sense of humor
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter to Hans Bauman at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Return to Jobs and Internships »