Online Systems Developer
||Full Time, 4-day workweek
||$35,000 – 40,000, Excellent Benefits
||Technology Department Director
Green America is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a socially just and environmentally sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change. Our unique approach involves working with consumers, investors, and businesses. Our workplace reflects our goal of creating a more cooperative, environmentally sound economy. We have a participatory decision-making process that aims to build consensus within the departments and teams.
And we are looking for a developer to join our web and membership team, which uses the power of the internet and electronic communication to empower consumers and businesses. We have an electronic community of approximately 135,000 people we connect to on a weekly (or more frequent) basis.
Green America's Online Systems Developer will be responsible for maintaining and supporting internet-facing systems that support Green America's mission. This work will include designing and developing new pages on our website, producing and delivering our email newsletter and related emails, creating advocacy action pages, developing landing and donation pages, interfacing with social media sites, and working on data transfers and connectors to support this work. Much of this work will be on hosted web applications and will include finding creative solutions to provide maximum end user benefit.
This position will work closely with our membership marketing team to increase our outreach and donations. As part of this effort, this position will assist in the selection, implementation, and support of a new membership system, which will likely include heavy integration with our email communication/engagement system and website.
Core Technical Skills
2. ColdFusion, PHP, or similar
3. Image manipulation experience
4. Integration between databases and website systems
5. Cross platform development and testing
6. MS Office, including extensive Excel experience
1. Hosted email production/sending systems
2. Facebook development experience
3. Microsoft SQL Server
4. Salsa experience (http://www.salsalabs.com)
1. Web and Email Design and Production
- Coordinate with our Online Editor and Marketing Team to ensure timely production of web and email content via our hosted online email platform, Salsa.
- Provide design and technical support as needed to non-technical staff.
- Create web graphics for internal campaigns and image headers, etc.
- Design and layout of webpages.
2. Application/Web-based Development
- Work with other technical development staff as needed to compile requirements for major online applications and functionality.
- Develop new advocacy campaigns on our hosted online advocacy platform, Salsa.
- Ensure strong integration with social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Develop, test, and deploy small form-based utilities as needed. These are currently coded in ColdFusion or in Salsa.
- Backend work in database and server systems as required.
- Debug and fix website issues, as required.
3. Internal expert on online membership and advocacy systems
- Over time, become expert in our online engagement system (Salsa) and be a resource to technical and non-technical staff on issue resolution.
- Become expert in our new membership management system (to be determined) and become internal expert on functions and capabilities.
- Become adept at understanding user requirements and mapping these to our systems architecture.
4. Membership Systems Integration
- Develop and support connections between core membership system and web-based advocacy and outreach systems.
- Work as technical member of team to replace outdated membership system.
- Find creative solutions to deliver core functionality to internal staff and external members.
- 2-4 years Web development experience.
- Strong interest in managing multiple, fast-paced projects to completion.
- Strong ability to work to deadlines and remain focused.
- Flexibility in dealing with changing priorities.
- Excellent detail management skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Commitment to maintaining clear procedures and communicating these to others.
- Strong CSS skills.
- Good web site design skills.
- Familiarity with a web application development language/tool.
- Experience working with database-driven websites.
- Experience working with a team, and able to work with loose team structures and diverse teams.
- BS in Computer Science, Information Technology, Web Development, or equivalent.
How to Apply:
If interested please send cover letter and resume to Hans Bauman, Director of Technology, Green America, 1612 K Street NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20006, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Due to the overwhelming number of applicants that we receive for job postings, we cannot respond to every applicant. Only those applicants that are called for interviews will be contacted.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer.
Return to Jobs and Internships »