||Full Time, 4-day work week
||$50,000-55,000; Excellent benefits
Green America is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a just and sustainable society by using economic strategies to solve social and environmental problems. Green America’s unique approach involves working with consumers, investors and businesses simultaneously. Our workplace reflects our goal of creating a more socially just and environmentally sound economy. We have a participatory workplace and aim for consensus decision-making within the departments and teams.
Green America’s Technology Department is responsible for development, administration, production, and support in three primary areas: Web and email systems, membership systems, and network/computer/communications systems.
Green America seeks a Technology Director to manage our IT and web technology operations. This person will have significant experience in management of technology projects and teams. We are seeking a leader with the technical and people skills to lead a small but highly skilled team in a dynamic work environment. The team consists of an information systems analyst, an online technology specialist, a web developer, and a systems administrator.
We are seeking an individual who can shape our technology strategy in coordination with the department and our Executive Director to advance the organization’s strategic growth priorities.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in capturing requirements, scoping out projects, finding solutions and managing staff and contractors to implement them, delivering project deliverables in scope, on time and on budget.
This position also serves on our Online Marketing and Engagement (OME) Team, which is an interdepartmental team that includes team members from our Technology, Marketing and Programs departments.
Qualified candidates should have excellent communication skills at the departmental and organizational levels and strong management skills to ensure on-time delivery of development projects, professional delivery and administration of ongoing operations, and smooth coordination with outside contractors.
- Represent the Technology department on Green America’s senior management team (Coordinating Team / CT).
- Lead departmental planning and budgeting as part of Green America’s annual Operating Plan process, including development of a comprehensive annual work plan, program operating plan, and project timelines.
- Negotiate project requests from internal stakeholders and allocate resources, balancing needs and setting priorities.
- Ensure clear ownership and lines of responsibility among team members for Green America’s various technical areas and solutions.
- Convene and lead regular departmental meetings as needed.
- Hire, train and manage technical staff. Ensure that technical staff had required core skills and receive appropriate technical training as needed.
- Ensure timely team member performance reviews according to Green America’s established peer review process.
- Assist the Systems Administrator in managing partner and contractor relationships, including contracting and coordination of deliverables as needed.
- Take the leadership and coordinate with the department and the Executive Director in shaping our technology strategy to advance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Work with department staff, the Coordinating Team and Executive Director to identify strategic issues and efficiency opportunities for Green America in new technology.
- Oversee and participate in the design of business processes around transactions, membership and relationship data.
- Advance the integration of Green America’s systems (membership database/CRM, online engagement systems, inbound marketing tools, online payment gateways, CMS, financial and accounting systems). Champion the user experience for both end-users and staff.
- Take initiative to investigate, develop and implement new technical solutions as needed.
- Lead requirements processes for Technology and Information system projects.
- Lead department in developing project management standards, systems, procedures, and practices to ensure quality and timely delivery of projects and services.
- Oversee the scoping out of projects, and manage staff and contractors in finding solutions and implementation.
- Create and manage budgets and timelines for major departmental projects. Ensure that budgets meet projections and that deadlines are met.
- Troubleshoot staffing and project workflow and timing issues and proactively address as needed.
- Ensure rapid responses to system outages and problems that affect staff and users of our Internet services.
- Work with team members and contractors to devise and maintain clear quality of service standards as needed.
- Ensure that Green America’s systems are secured from external attacks and that critical data is protected from unauthorized access.
- Ensure adequate documentation of systems and establish documentation standards as needed.
Green America's Online Program
- Serve as the technical lead on Green America's Online Marketing and Engagement (OME) team, working collaboratively with the Marketing Director to develop the annual work plan and budget, and determine priorities for the Online Program.
- Serve as the project management lead on the OME team to develop and manage projects to improve our online and social media properties.
- Work with the OME and Technology teams to oversee our
- Search Engine Optimization strategy and tactics across all online properties
- Search Engine Marketing campaigns (Google AdWords) across all online properties
- Online Analytics (e.g. web, online membership and social media)
- Ensure clear and frequent communications between the Technology Department and other departments, teams, and staff at Green America.
- Ensure proactive communication about system problems that affect teams or staff and technology-related concerns as they emerge in staff discussions.
- Provide trouble-shooting and problem-solving support and guidance to department staff as needed.
- Do direct technical troubleshooting as needed to bring systems back to optimal operating status in the event that the Systems Administrator is not available.
- Do solution management as needed to ensure that all the team is delivering on performance and deliverable commitments to the organization.
- Serve on additional staff teams as needed.
- Coordinate with other departments as needed on systems deployment, integration and maintenance needs.
- Lead the replacement of our individual membership/fundraising database with a CRM/AMS system that integrates with both our online engagement platform (Salsa) and our new website. Streamline processes and procedures as needed.
- Work with the OME and Tech teams to develop a roadmap for the replacement of the current greenamerica.org website.
- Oversee the ongoing implementation of a CRM and e-Marketing project for our Green Business Network department.
Current System Technologies
- Network/Operating: Microsoft Production Servers
- Database: Microsoft SQL Server
- Membership/Fundraising Management: Sage Millennium (to be replaced)
- Accounting software: QuickBooks
- Email list and online engagement systems: Salsa, Act-On
- Website CMS: Adobe Dreamweaver and Contribute (to be replaced)
- Web Application Development: Adobe ColdFusion (to be replaced)
Future System Technologies
- Green Business Network CRM and e-Marketing platform: Salesforce, Act-On
- Membership/Fundraising Management: TBD
- Website CMS and Web Application Development: Open source solution (TBD, possibly PHP-based)
- Highly motivated, independent self-starter.
- Experience with, or strong aptitude for, business strategy and development.
- Three to five years solid experience in managing technology-based teams and projects, plus 5-10 years experience doing technical work of this nature.
- Excellent project planning and execution skills. Proven ability to deliver on quality, cost, and timing requirements.
- Experience in business development for online projects that resulted in significant revenue and content opportunities.
- Broad experience with business-driven application of network/Internet, Web, email, and database technologies.
- Familiarity with major system technologies listed above
- Experience with implementing similar solutions like membership databases/CRM/AMS (e.g. Intuit), online engagement systems (e.g. Convio), inbound marketing tools (e.g. Hubspot), online payment gateways (e.g. authorize.net), CMS/websites (e.g. Drupal), financial and accounting systems (e.g. QuickBooks).
- Certification in a project management methodology.
- Experience in developing and managing revenue- and engagement-focused online program(s).
- Ability to quickly understand and implement new systems and applications.
- Ability to identify opportunities and the persistence to pursue them.
- Strong interpersonal and organization-level communications skills, including the ability to communicate online/technology strategy to senior management.
- Ability to lead a team with vision and inspiration in a fast paced environment.
- The ability to say no when needed.
How to Apply:
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to Christian Kdolsky at email@example.com.
Due to the overwhelming number of applicants that we receive for job postings, we cannot respond to every applicant. Only those applicants that are called for interviews will be contacted.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer.
Return to Jobs and Internships »