||$60,000 - $85,000
||Green America CEO/President
||Regular, full-time, with generous benefits
||Sept. 7, 2012
Green America, the nation's frontrunner green economy organization, seeks a dynamic, experienced collaborative leader to join our senior executive team.
Green America, a national nonprofit organization, works to accelerate the green economy. Our unique approach involves working with consumers, investors and businesses – harnessing economic power to solve social and environmental problems. We seek to shift the failing conventional economy to one that works for people and the planet.
Our programs focus on growing the green economy, stopping corporate abuse, advancing fair trade, tackling climate change and fostering sustainable, local economies. Green America's major events and publications include Green Festivals®, the Green Business Conference, National Green Pages®, and the Green American. Green America operates the nation’s largest green living and green business networks, helping millions of families and businesses go green.
Having played a major role in creating the language, framework, organizations and standards fueling the current wave of sustainability, Green America has just launched a whole set of new programs designed to scale the number of businesses and families choosing to deepen their commitment to sustainability, with the intent of moving the dial on the green economy from 5% today to 20% by 2020. This audacious goal would set the stage for reaching, by 2050, a sustainable, carbon-free economy that provides health and prosperity for all people and all the generations to come.
About the Executive Director Position
To celebrate our 30th anniversary and raise the bar for the next 30 years, we're expanding our senior team with a new executive director position. This new person will join our visionary senior executive team, including Alisa Gravitz, President/CEO; Denise Hamler, Green Business Director, and Russ Gaskin, Strategic Programs Director.
We are looking for an accomplished social entrepreneur, visionary leader and scale-builder, ready to take on her/his next big project, bringing these skills to the table:
- Passion for building the green economy
- Strategic thinking for building scale, and a proven track record for taking an organization to the next level
- Revenue builder with demonstrated ability to energize donors and foundations, garner new funders and develop new business models and sources of revenue
- Technology and social media leadership
- Experience with creating deep partnerships and building broad alliances
- Strong collaborative management skills for leading a participatory staff and movement building
Our ideal candidate is a recognized thought-leader in sustainability issues, with a deep set of strategies, relationships and connections that can help grow Green America to the next level to meet its next set of audacious goals. S/he would have already doubled or quintupled the size of a for-profit or non-profit organization. S/he may have already launched, grown and sold a major business, and be ready to give back to society by steering a major social-change organization and movement to achieve system-changing green economy goals.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate for Executive Director will be able to:
- Be Passionate about Sustainability.
- Have a passion for sustainability and social justice/equity.
- Preferably have experience in the green movement or other progressive social movements.
- Have knowledge of current challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of Green America.
- Have at least 5-10 years of professional experience managing a growing enterprise, preferably including progressive non-profit organizations with 40 or more staff members.
- Operate with a high level of integrity, inclusivity, and transparency. Have strong managerial skills within a collaborative for-profit or non-profit context, including planning and program development, staff management, recruiting supporters and working effectively with a board of directors.
- Preferably a Graduate degree in business or non-profit administration, or a related degree.
- Able to solve problems while utilizing limited resources effectively and prioritize among many challenges and opportunities.
Provide Visionary Leadership.
- Have strong, collaborative leadership skills and an ability to create collaborative partnerships for developing programs in cross-functional teams.
- Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Be a thought leader in the green movement, or having been a thought leader in another industry or movement, be able to lead in the green movement.
- Capable of developing and implementing an effective strategy to scale up the organization’s programs and build capacity.
- Determine strategies to move the organization and the movement forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
Maintain the Financial Health of the Organization.
- Possess a strong acumen of financials.
- Experience with creating, managing and balancing multimillion dollar operating plans and budgets.
- Have experience with financial reporting and non-profit accounting principles; have strong financial analysis skills.
- Have effective fundraising skills, with experience and understanding in growing membership and donor bases, and a track record of successful grant proposal writing as well as a proven ability to raise substantial unrestricted funds.
- Capable of working effectively with other organizations and building coalitions to further mutual interests and seek solutions to scaling up efforts in the green movement.
Provide Digital Thought Leadership.
While a general knowledge of mission-based marketing is important for this role, we have a preference for an Executive Director who also understands social media because of the growing strategic importance of this area to Green America’s work.
- Understand the online space thoroughly and have experience with growing capacity through compelling digital engagement strategies.
- Lead creative strategy and planning for long- and short-term digital program recommendations. Provide creative strategy insights and help produce compelling content online spanning a range of digital media formats.
- Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Have the ability to function effectively as one of the principal spokespersons for the organization.
Build Relationships and Foster Teamwork.
- Ability to establish, manage and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness. Empower staff to be accountable.
- Have an ability and enthusiasm for bringing a steady stream of proactive, fresh thinking to the organization and its members and partners.
- Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
This position will be located in Green America's home office in Washington, DC, with travel estimated to be 30% - 40% over the year.
This is a summary of the position’s responsibilities and qualifications.
A detailed Job Description will be emailed to all applicants.
To apply, send vision statement, resume, salary requirement and some form of public communication (article or speech) to: Alisa Gravitz, President/CEO, EDjob@greenamerica.org. No calls please. Application deadline: September 7th, 2012.
Return to Jobs and Internships »