Toys R Us
Jump to Toys R Us: Alerts;
• Toys R Us is a toy retailer that also sells children’s and baby's clothing and furniture in its stores throughout the US and abroad.
• Toys R Us sources from a factory in Guandong, China which has been accused by Oxfam of operating under sweatshop conditions.
• In 2007, Toys R Us recalled Chinese-made military toys and Toys R Us baby bibs because of high levels of lead contamination.
• Support Fair Trade alternatives and sustainable labor practices by visiting Go Green.
-- Profile Updated 07/06/2010
About Toys R Us
Toy retailer Toys R Us operates over 1,500 stores, throughout the US and abroad, devoted to products designed for children’s entertainment. The company also sells children’s and baby's clothing and furniture through its Kids ‘R’ Us and Babies 'R' Us retail stores. Based in Wayne New Jersey, the company employs 63,000 people and recorded sales of $9.93 billion for fiscal 2006.
Babies "R" Us - Paramus, NJ
- Babies "R" Us Pty. Ltd. - Regents Park, Australia
- Babiesrus.com, LLC - Wayne, NJ
Babiesrus.com, LLC - Wayne, NJ
- Geoffrey, Inc. - Wayne, NJ
- Kids "R" Us Limited - Maidenhead, United Kingdom
- Toys "R" Us (Australia) Pty. Ltd. - Regents Park, Australia
- Toys "R" Us (Canada) Ltd. - Concord, Canada
- Toys "R" Us (Netherlands) B.V. - Utrecht, Netherlands
- Toys "R" Us (Wholesale) Pty. Ltd. - Regents Park, Australia
- Toys "R" Us - Delaware, Inc. - Wayne, NJ
- Toys "R" Us - Mass., Inc. - Wayne, NJ
- Toys "R" Us - NY LLC - Wayne, NJ
- Toys "R" Us - Ohio, Inc. - Wayne, NJ
- Toys "R" Us - Penn., Inc. - Wayne, NJ
- Toys "R" Us -Texas LLC - Wayne, NJ
- Toys "R" Us AG - Zurich, Switzerland
- Toys "R" Us GmbH - Cologne, Germany
- Toys "R" Us Handelsgesellschaft m.b.H. - Haid, Austria
- Toys "R" Us Iberia, S.A. - Madrid, Spain
- Toys "R" Us International - Wayne, NJ
- Toys "R" Us Japan, Ltd. - Kawasaki, Japan
- Toys "R" Us Limited - Maidenhead, United Kingdom
- Toys "R" Us Logistik GmbH - Cologne, Germany
- Toys "R" Us Operations GmbH - Cologne, Germany
- Toys "R" Us Portugal Limitada - Cascais, Portugal
- Toys "R" Us S.A.R.L. - Lisses, France
- Toys "R" Us United States - Wayne, NJ
- Toysrus.com (Japan), Ltd. - Kawasaki, Japan
- Toysrus.com, Inc. - Wayne, NJ
- TRU (Netherlands) Investments B.V. - Utrecht, Netherlands
- Y.K. Babiesrus Internet Japan - Kawasaki, Japan
- Y.K. Toysrus Internet Japan - Kawasaki, Japan
Contact Toys R Us
Toys R Us
Wayne, NJ 07470 USA
According to a report by Oxfam called "Trading Away Our Rights", Toys R Us and Wal-Mart source from a factory in Guandong, China where management routinely hides evidence of poor labor conditions in order to pass screens. Regular violations include the following:
- Workers are pushed to work between 180 and 250 hours of overtime per month when the legal monthly limit is 36 hours.
- Workers are penalized with heavy fines for being late, answering back to managers and for not making their beds.
- Workers do not have written contracts, maternity leave or social insurance coverage.
- 50% of workers do not receive the minimum wage according to hours worked.
- Managers deceive inspectors by falsifying time sheets and wage documents, coaching workers on how to answer inspectors' questions and by terminating uncooperative workers.
-- Oxfam, 02/08/2004
Ethics and Governance
Toys R Us received a score of 45 out of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign 2006 Corporate Equality Index which rates large corporations based on seven factors on policies that affect their gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender employees, consumers and investors. This is an increase of two points from the company's 2005 score.
-- Human Rights Campaign, 09/19/2006
Source URL: www.hrc.org
In August 2000, a class-action suit was filed against Toys 'R' Us alleging that, in contradiction to a posted confidentiality statement, the company allows market researchers to access consumer data and build personal profiles from information gathered from its web site. A similar suit brought by the New Jersey's Division of Consumer Affairs resulted in a December 2001settlement between Toys R Us and New Jersey, which required Toys R Us to pay a fine of $50,000 and revamp its protection of personal information by providing a "complete and accurate summary" regarding the disclosure of personal information and cookie use.
-- CNN, 07/01/2002
Health and Safety
In October 2007, Toys R Us recalled 16,000 Chinese-made military toys from its shelves because of lead contamination. Earlier in the month the toy giant recalled 15,000 room decor sets because some of the paint used in the sets contained unsafe levels of lead.
-- MSNBC, 10/31/2007
Source URL: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21562570/
Several consumer groups and states' attorney's general filed called for an investigation into high levels of lead found in Toys R Us baby bibs. The toymaker has said it immediately pulled Winnie the Pooh, Koala baby, and Especially for Baby brand bibs off its shelves after it learned lead was present. This follows a few months after Wal-Mart was forced to pull some of its baby bibs also containing high concentrations of lead.
-- CorpWatch, 08/16/2007
Source URL: www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=14644