Fair Labor Campaign Intern
|| Unpaid, course credit available.
||Summer or fall 2014
||Open until filled
Green America ( www.greenamerica.org ) is a nonprofit, membership organization whose mission is to harness economic power – the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace – to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society. Our Fair Trade/Fair Labor program has worked to educate consumers about the products they buy and help find more responsibly made products. Additionally we’ve led corporate campaigns to pressure some of the country’s largest companies to improve their practices when it comes to workers’ rights. Previous campaigns include the “Raise the Bar, Hershey” campaign to push Hershey to use cocoa made without child labor.
We are currently focused on the electronics sector, pressuring Apple and its competitors to improve health and safety conditions for workers. Learn more about the campaign here: http://www.greenamerica.org/bad-apple/
We are seeking a student (undergrad or graduate level) with outreach and organizing skills, excellent writing skills, research experience, and an interest in labor issues. The focus of the Fair Labor intern this summer will be to assist with writing and researching a report on the global electronics industry. Additional projects will focus on the garment, cocoa, and fishing sectors.
An ideal candidate will:
- Be interested in and active on labor issues and technology;
- Have experience doing in-depth research;
- Have excellent organizing skills and be able to help coordinate large events/protests;
- Have strong writing skills;
- Be familiar with social networking platforms and draft content for blogs, web site, Facebook, etc.;
- Be able to work independently and take initiative;
- Be creative and strategic
- Graphic design skills and Chinese language skills a plus!
To apply: Send your resume and a cover letter to Elizabeth O’Connell at email@example.com .
No calls please.
Due the volume of applications we receive, we will not respond to every application we receive. If we wish to contact you for an interview you will hear from us by phone or email.
Return to Jobs and Internships »