Director of Finance and Administration
|| Executive Director (ED)
|| Excellent benefits including health care, dental care, casual and friendly work environment, and flexible 32-hour work week.
Green America is a thirty year old, national nonprofit with the mission to create a green economy defined by environmental sustainability and restoration, social justice and fair labor, thriving and inclusive local communities, and personal health and well-being. We inform people’s choices, organize consumer collective action, and bring together businesses and other stakeholders to achieve system-wide change. Our work environment is results-oriented and highly collegial.
We seek a Director of Finance & Administration who can hit the ground running to play a major role in taking the organization to a new level of impact and effectiveness. We expect our Director of Finance & Administration to be a very strong individual contributor (a “doer”), an effective leader of our finance/administration team, and an essential member of our management team, helping to shape strategy and inform critical decisions for our organization.
- Manage the organization’s:
- Payroll and benefits functions
- Expense reimbursements
- Account receivables, billing and collections
- Accounts payable and payments
- Member loan program
- Credit card and PayPal processing/payments
- Bank/investment accounts
- Monthly reconciliations and closings
- Cash flow management and reporting
- Oversee and lead annual planning and budgeting process in conjunction with the ED, review and provide input on plans and budgets, provide analytical support and budget/reporting tools to managers as needed, and proactively keep management team abreast of the organization’s financial status and trajectory.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors, and assess any changes necessary.
- Ensure compliance with external reporting requirements, generate filings and/or manage others in the generation of filings, and ensure accuracy, quality and timeliness of filings.
- Proactively monitor and manage the organization’s ratings from ratings organizations (e.g. Charity Navigator) in coordination with the ED and management team
- Work with the ED and management team to develop key performance indicators and financial measures/reporting to inform management’s decision-making.
- Refresh the organization’s accounting classes and chart of accounts based on nonprofit best practice and the management/reporting needs of the organization.
- Lead the selection of a new accounting/finance system for the organization and work with the technology director and management team to implement it.
- Work with the technology director to achieve efficiencies through automating manual processes and integrating the finance/accounting system with other systems/processes.
- Review the organization’s internal controls and make changes as appropriate.
- Manage the organization’s:
- Performance evaluation and salary review systems/processes
- Facilities lease agreements
- Equipment purchases and leases
- Postage accounts and permits
- Other licenses and permits, as required
- Develop/review proposed contracts and track existing contracts. Cultivate, manage and leverage relationships with external attorneys and other legal resources.
- Lead the development and implementation of a:
- Job/pay banding system
- Revised performance review system
- Process for managing/ensuring staff long-term development.
- Serve as a business partner to the ED and management team by identifying, implementing and supporting efforts to increase the organization’s impact, financial sustainability and effectiveness/efficiency.
- Systematically evaluate potential new program opportunities in regard to strategic/mission fit, financial impact, staff and resource requirements, and risk. Present insightful analyses and informed recommendations to the ED and management team..
- Identify and implement ways to improve the effectiveness/efficiency of the finance/administration function. Identify and apply relevant best practices from among for-profit, nonprofit and government organizations.
- Ensure strict compliance with all applicable/relevant legal requirements.
- Leverage finance/administration team members by effectively delegating responsibilities and empowering team members. Provide stretch opportunities and guide and coach team members in order to build their capabilities/skills and experience.
- Develop and implement a staff and resource plan for the finance/administration function based on the needs of the organization and within the limits of available budget.
- Achieve near-term effectiveness/efficiency gains for the finance/administration function through improved processes, systems, etc.
- Minimum of a business-related bachelor degree; MBA/CPA preferred.
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years of finance/accounting experience, with at least 5 years of broad accounting and financial management/reporting experience.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the accuracy and quality of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area. Ideally has also overseen at least portions of a human resources function.
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills, ability to derive actionable insight from data, and ability to organize/present data in a way that is incisive and useful by others.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in support of line managers.
- Strong project management and organizational skills with ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented focus, with demonstrated ability to work and solve problems independently in order to move projects from inception to completion.
- Exemplary communications skills, interpersonal skills, and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team.
- Meticulous attention to detail and a commitment to quality.
- Commitment to our organization’s mission and values.
To Apply: please send a cover letter and resume to Martha van Gelder at email@example.com .
This position is at Green America’s headquarters at 1612 K Street NW, Suite 600, Washington DC 20006.
For more information about Green America, please visit www.greenamerica.org .
Return to Jobs and Internships »