Green America’s Food Campaigns Manager
|| Campaigns Director
$42,000-46,000/Grant Track Position
|| full-time (4-days, 32 hours/week) in Washington, D.C. office
||medical, dental, sick days, holidays
Green America is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a just and sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change. Our unique approach involves working with consumers, investors and businesses. Our workplace reflects our goal of creating a more cooperative, environmentally sound economy. We have a participatory decision-making process, which aims to build consensus within the departments and teams.
This position is within Green America’s Corporate Responsibility Division, which works to promote greater social and environmental responsibility with larger corporations. The Division works in four main issue areas, with ongoing campaigns focused on food, energy, finance, and labor.
The Food Campaign Manager will be in charge of Green America’s Food Campaigns, which seek to educate the public about problems with the increasing industrialization of our food systems and GMOs, the importance of local and organic foods, and the need for all Americans to take action to take back our food supply to protect the health of people and the planet. A major part of the position will be directing GMO Inside (www.gmoinside.org), a thriving campaign that educates Americans about GMO foods, better alternatives, and how to take action. In the last two years we’ve had success targeting General Mills, Hershey, Chobani, Abbott Labs (Similac), and other with food manufacturers and getting them to remove GMOs from products. Current campaign targets include Starbucks, Sabra (Pepsi), and Dean Foods, with others under development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage Green America’s GMO Inside Campaign
- Research, plan and execute campaign activities in conjunction with team members.
- Oversee all campaign actions and work with allies to make sure actions reach a wide range of Americans, and that actions are taken and are effective.
- Oversee a team of 4-5 people including Food Campaigns Coordinator, fellows, consultants, and interns to ensure the smooth execution of all campaign goals.
- Create and oversee content development about the campaign on its website, social media pages, and in press releases.
- Represent the campaign at public events and in the media.
- Take the lead on building a coalition of supporting organizations, businesses, and other entities to increase the campaign’s impact.
- Work with Green America staff to integrate the campaign into Green America’s events, websites, social media, and publications.
- Assist with campaign fundraising and sponsorship.
2. Direct Green America’s Food Campaigning Overall
- Work with Green America’s staff to promote local, organic and healthy foods through events, websites, social media, and publications.
- Create actions for Green America members and the public to take on food issues.
- Speak on behalf of Green America at events and to media about food issues.
- Take part in Green America staff meetings, planning meetings, fundraising and budgeting on behalf of the Food Campaign.
Qualified Candidates should have the following skills and qualities:
- Strong campaign skills. Four to six years of campaign experience, particularly in relation to food campaigning and a track record of success. The ability to conduct aggressive campaigns that result in substantive change in targeted entities.
- Experience with corporate campaigning, including strategy development and negotiating with senior management at corporations.
- A passion for and strong knowledge of food issues, including GMOs, industrialized food systems, local foods, and organics.
- Ability to manage projects with multiple deadlines.
- Experience managing others, both in the office and remotely.
- Proven ability to use social media creatively and effectively, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. (GMO Inside has a strong social media presence, with roughly 250,000 followers on Green America and GMO Inside social media sites).
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Strong speaking skills.
- Proven ability to lead coalitions and to reach consensus.
- Experience with fundraising a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Willingness to travel.
How to Apply:
Provide a cover letter, resume and a brief writing sample to Elizabeth O’Connell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include Food Campaigns Manager and your name in the subject line.
No Calls Please.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer.
Return to Jobs and Internships »