Co-op America Chosen as a "Foolanthropy" Charity in 2006
November 29, 2006
“Motley Fools” will be able to donate directly to Co-op America, an organization that uses economic actions to address pressing social and environmental issues.
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Co-op America has been chosen as one of the five charities by The Motley Fool to take part in its Foolanthropy 2006 campaign. Co-op America is a national nonprofit organization that focuses on marketplace strategies to social and environmental problems. A profile and donate link for Co-op America will be active on the Foolanthropy site (http://www.fool.com/foolanthropy) through January 7, 2007. Visitors to the site can donate directly to Co-op America through The Motley Fool’s Foolanthropy drive. The organization with the highest dollar-amount donations through the Foolanthropy site will receive a $10,000 additional donation from The Motley Fool.
In addition, for every post to every Motley Fool discussion board in the month of December, the Fool will chip in $0.02. The proceeds of this, called the “My 2 Cents” campaign, will be distributed to the remaining four charities.
“Co-op America is delighted and honored to be one of the Foolanthropy charities in 2006,” said Alisa Gravitz, Executive Director of Co-op America, “We’re an organization that helps consumers, investors, and businesses create an economy that works for everyone, and we encourage all Fools to find out more about our work that promotes marketplace solutions to social and environmental problems.”
Co-op America’s program work focuses on building the green economy based on social responsibility, ecological sustainability, and economic vitality. Key programs include:
- Climate Action – works with corporations to reduce their emissions of greenhouse gas emissions.
- PAPER – works with magazine publishers to help them switch to post-consumer recycled paper, and got over 200 magazines to make the switch in the last 2 years.
- Green Business – helps businesses nationwide “green” their practices and build markets for their products and services.
- Green Consumer – provides people with green living, green purchasing and green investing ideas, information and resources.
- Green Festivals – brings the green economy directly to tens of thousands of people through weekend-long events in a growing number of cities nationwide.
- Solar Catalyst -- works to bring industry, technology, investors, and policy makers together to bring solar power to scale.
- Community Investing – encourages all investors to direct at least 1% of their assets to community investing products that benefit low-income communities worldwide, and directed over $1.5 billion to low-income communities in the last three years
- Responsible Shopper – provides consumers and investors with an in-depth look at the social and environmental responsibility of major corporations.
Donations from Foolanthropy will be targeted to the above programs, all of which are focused on creating an economy that values workers, communities, the environment, and consumers, as well as profits – social responsibility, ecological sustainability, and economic vitality.
Co-op America is a national nonprofit organization founded in 1982, providing the economic strategies, organizing power and practicing tools for businesses and individuals to address today’s social and environmental problems.
Foolanthropy, celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, is The Motley Fool’s own interactive, cooperative charity drive -- the Internet's longest-running.
Return to Newsroom »
See more Press Releases »