Nation's Capital Seeing Green
Over Thirty Thousand Expected to Kick-Off Washington, DC's 4th Annual Green Festival, October 6th & 7th, 2007
September 26, 2007
Washington, DC -- Green Festivals, a joint project of Global Exchange and Co-op America, and widely known “party with a purpose,” will celebrate its fourth year in Washington DC on October 6th and 7th, 2007 at the Washington Convention Center. The event will bring together more than 150 speakers, 400 local and national green businesses, dozens of community groups and an anticipated audience of more than 35,000 to celebrate what’s working in our own communities, for businesses and for the environment.
For two days, DC area residents will be invited to take part in the largest and most authentic green event in the world and explore what’s next on the horizon for renewable energy, socially responsible investing, eco-fashions, eco-tourism, green building, green parenting and more. Hitting four cities over the next eight months, Green Festival continues to stay at the forefront, bringing leading-edge green products, green business leaders, innovations, services and information into people’s lives and communities. In the last year, Green Festivals brought together nearly 100,000 attendees.
“Our goal has always been to provide the most extensive, engaging and truly green event to enlighten and educate the public on greener ways of living,” says Co-op America Executive Director Alisa Gravitz. “The tremendous growth in attendance at Green Festivals reflects consumers’ hunger to learn about the movement toward a greener sustainable lifestyle.”
With a guest speaker line-up of more than 150 great minds, Green Festival will play host to such visionary leaders as Ralph Nader, Amy Goodman, Thom Hartmann, Frances Moore Lappe, Bill McKibben, Jim Hightower, Hunter Lovins, Helen Caldicott and many more.
Green Festival’s stringent screening process ensures all exhibitors and sponsors meet the best practices and highest integrity standards for businesses on a green mission. A joint project of two influential non-profit organizations, Global Exchange and Co-op America, Green Festival brings individuals, businesses and investors together in creating sustainable economic solutions for communities and the environment. This year’s Green Festival will continue to celebrate the positive impact of sustainable living, eco/organic products for personal health and wellness and the importance of critical initiatives such as: carbon reduction, global citizenship and renewable energy.
“Since starting Green Fest in 2002 we have seen an incredible shift in green living as well as a seminal shift in the green economy,” says Kevin Danaher, Executive Director, Global Exchange. “Consumers are discovering there are now two relevant greens: the bottom line green and the environmental green. Companies are learning there is profit to be made in protecting our resources and the environment – we’re witnessing a much different kind of economy that individuals aggressively support.”
Green Festival is the perfect place to build cultural bridges, save the planet, grow the green economy and begin healthier, greener ways of living.
WASHINGTON DC GREEN FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Wendy Rieger, NBC News4 Anchor and Award Winning Journalist, opens show Saturday and will be on hand all weekend long filming her series Going Green
- Influential Speakers: Amy Goodman, Ralph Nader, Thom Hartmann, Frances Moore Lappe, Bill McKibben, Jim Hightower, Hunter Lovins, Helen Caldicott, Timberly Whitfield
- Speaker and Panelist Topics Greening Your Garbage, Investing to Make a Difference, Creating Change on Campus, Building the Green Economy, Clean Energy Solutions
- The Green Living Pavilionhands-on demonstrations and workshops to help you make energy efficient upgrades, cook with solar energy and remove toxins from your home
- Fair-Trade and Eco-Shopping
- DC Environmental Pavilion and Greening the District
- “Wild and Scenic” Environmental Film Festival
- Socially Responsible Investing
- Music Stage featuring live local DC Area acts
- The Fair Trade Café and Tea Garden; Organic Beer & Wine Garden
- Natural Pet Products and Care
- The Organic Valley Kids Zone
- Green Building and Renewable Energy
- Green Careers Area
- The Power Foods Pavilion
- Eco Fashion
- Better World Book Drive providing scholarships to underserved girls worldwide
- FREE bike valet!
For more information about Green Festivals, please visit www.greenfestivals.org
About Co-op America
Co-op America is a non-profit membership organization founded in 1982 with the mission to harness economic power—the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace—and to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society. www.greenamerica.org
About Global Exchange
Global Exchange is a membership-based international human rights organization dedicated to promoting social, economic and environmental justice around the world. Since its founding in 1988, Global Exchange has successfully increased public awareness of root causes of injustice while building international partnerships and mobilizing for change. www.globalexchange.org
CONTACT: Becky Wisdom, OrganicWorks Marketing, 212.253.0474, Becky@organicworksmarketing.com
Return to Newsroom »
See more Press Releases »