Everyone loves pizza! And by making your own pizza at home, you can load up with as many organic veggies as you like, or even vegan cheese.
This recipe uses non-GMO Kamut Brand Khorasan Wheat—a nutritious, ancient grain that is easily digested. Kamut supports organic farmers and works to ensure its grains are never genetically modified. Read more about Kamut here.
Yield: Two 15-inch pizzas
- 2 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ½ cups Kamut Khorasan wheat flour
- Pizza toppings of your choice (Sicilian-style toppings listed below)
*Use organic, non-GMO ingredients whenever possible
- Place the yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add oil. Mix in the salt and one cup of flour at a time into the yeast mixture. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Knead on floured surface for 5 minutes or 600 strokes. To help the gluten develop vigorously, punch the dough a few times with your fist or slam the dough on the board.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about
- 1 ½ hours. The dough should be springy and soft.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll the dough, or stretch with your fingers, to cover both of the pans. Cover the dough with your choice of pizza toppings. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Typical Sicilian-style pizza toppings include: mozzarella, anchovies, oregano, fresh peeled and seeded tomatoes (or tomato sauce), chopped onion, olive oil, and black pepper.
- Variations: Use this recipe to make flat bread or dinner rolls
This post is sponsored by Kamut. Thank you for supporting the brands that support us. GMO Inside is a non-profit campaign and we are thankful for the brands that support our work to change the food system.