Move over, “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” -- make room for “Green Tuesday!” Green America is proud to begin a new tradition that makes the Tuesday after every Thanksgiving a green shopping day. Get connected to holiday shoppers who want to save and be greener.
To kick off this new annual holiday shopping tradition, Green America’s GreenDeals.org website will be offering special deals for the week starting on the first “Green Tuesday,” November 29, 2011.
Much like Groupon does for general shoppers, GreenDeals.org offers discounts and deals from local and national green online businesses that are approved by Green America. GreenDeals.org features a new deal or discount every 24-48 hours.
Examples of special deals to be offered during the first “Green Tuesday” week include products and services, such as:
- From War to Peace – Jewelry made from recycled nuclear bomb equipment
- Back to the Roots – Indoor mushroom garden kit (as featured in the Wall Street Journal)
- Driwater – A self-watering system for indoor or outdoor plants
- Organic Essence Lip Balm – USDA organic certified balms
- Better World Club Annual Membership – The green auto (and bicycle!) club
- Indigenous Designs Clothing – Stylish fair trade and organic clothes for women and men
A total of 15-20 products and coupons ranging from 30-50 percent off will be featured from November 29 - December 6. Additional “side deals” for 10-20 percent off also will be featured on GreenDeals.org web pages. Daily contests and special GreenDeals.org credits will go up on the GreenDeals.org Facebook page.
“Green Deals makes it possible to give great gifts for the holidays, while also giving back to the planet. Many consumers who are turned off by shopping at big-box stores during the holiday season will welcome this opportunity to participate in a way that is in line with their values, and save money at the same time,” says Green America Corporate Responsibility Director, Todd Larsen.
Since its launch one year ago, GreenDeals.org has acquired over 160,000 green members and has featured over 150 deals from green businesses.
Thinking about becoming a part of "Green Tuesday?" Consider the research:
- 80% of consumers are likely to switch brands, similar in price and quality, to one that supports a cause. (See Cone 2010 Cause Evolution Study)
- 54% of shoppers say they consider elements of sustainability, such as sourcing, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, product use and disposal, as they select products and stores. (GMA/Deloitte Green Shopper Study, 2009)
- In 2009, 47% of consumers said they bought products from a socially or environmentally responsible company. Going into 2010, 76% of all consumers said they expected to purchase more from environmentally responsible companies. (Tiller, 2009)
- 92% of mothers want to buy a product supporting a cause. They are also more likely to switch brands and have purchased more cause-related products in the past year than any other demographic. (Cone 2010 Cause Evolution Study)
- 88% of women say they like brands that “allow me to do something good.” (“Women, Power & Money: The Shift to the Female-Driven Economy,” Fleishman-Hillard/Harrison Group, 2010)
- 76% of Millennials want brands to be ecologically conscious. (Generate Insight, 2009).
In addition to the green products and services offered on GreenDeals.org, holiday shoppers can find great green purchases at GreenPages.org, the nation’s leading directory of green products and services which features thousands of businesses nationwide, and from Green America’s Holiday Green Gift Guide which features great deals on green products.
Happy Thanksgiving and happy green holiday shopping from Green Festival, Green America and GreenDeals.org!