Green America is leading the charge to create Clean Energy Victory Bonds – a proposed US Treasury Savings Bond that would support renewable energy development and efficiency measures in the United States. On August 2, 2012m the Clean Energy Victory Bond Act of 2012 was introduced in the House of Representatives by Bob Filner of CA and ten original co-sponsors. The bill, H.R. 6275, would leverage $50 billion in investments to provide up to $150 billion in public and private financing to create 1.7 million jobs in the clean energy sector. Clean Energy Victory Bonds are proposed U.S. Treasury bonds that would be available for as little as $25, and encourage citizen investment in the burgeoning domestic clean energy industry.
Economic Benefits of Clean Energy Victory Bonds
- Leverage $50 billion investment to provide up to $150 billion in public and private financing to fund the production of innovative energy technologies, at a time when the US is falling behind other countries in clean energy manufacture and installation.
- Help create at least 1.7 million competitively-paying jobs in the U.S.
- Provide financing for clean energy without raising taxes on individuals or corporations.
- Support America’s clean energy sector, helping to ensure that the U.S. is a world leader in this increasingly crucial and competitive industry.
- Reduce U.S. dependence on foreign sources of energy, enhance national security, and limit price increases and fluctuations.
Environmental Benefits of Clean Energy Victory Bonds
- Promote a cleaner environment through the financing of clean energy technologies.
- Protect the health and safety of Americans by reducing local air and water pollution throughout the country.
BUSINESS ACTION NEEDED!
- Business/institutional endorsement of the Clean Energy Victory Bond is needed to show the bread of support for this concept! Businesses and institutions can see current endorsers and can endorse the bond here.
- Urge your Representative to co-sponsor H.R. 6275, the Clean Energy Victory Bond Act. Call the Congressional Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to be connected to your Representative. Here is a sample phone script:
Hello, My name is ___________ from CITY/TOWN/STATE. As a business leader, I am calling to express my support for more green jobs in our state and to ask [Representative XX] to support H.R. 6275, the Clean Energy Victory Bonds Act of 2012. Clean Energy Victory Bonds will help end our dependence on foreign sources of energy and, as a result, help create domestic jobs in clean energy. The bonds will help to create 1.7 million good-paying jobs in the US. I fully support Clean Energy Victory Bonds and hope that Representative [NAME OF REP.] will co-sponsor this important legislation that will help make [STATE] and our nation a leader in clean energy production and job creation.
3. Visit www.CleanEnergyVictoryBonds.org for more information!
Thank you for taking action today!