Includes architects; electricians; construction firms; insulation; siding; windows; building materials
- Business core purpose includes a “green” business function.
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on its website.
- Enables maximum water and energy savings through design, materials, and technology.
- Use of reclaimed/recycled materials whenever possible.
- Wood materials are reclaimed, recycled, or FSC certified or equivalent.
- Responsible procurement policy or practices regarding fair labor practices.
- Less-toxic materials: low- or no-VOC paints, varnishes, cleaners, and adhesives; no vinyl plastic used whatsoever.
- Experience in doing LEED certified construction or equivalent; or employee with accreditation as LEED certified professional.
- Incorporation of on-site clean energy whenever possible.
- Employees have access to family friendly benefits including high-quality health insurance, sick days, paid parental leave and childcare help.
- Offer a flexible workplace culture that encourages work/life balance and makes reasonable accommodations for telecommuting and flex schedules.
- Pays a wage that ensures employees well-being.
- Has an established non-discrimination policy and procedure, and ensures an inclusive workplace culture.
- Governs fairly and in a transparent manner. Is open to employee input. Has a whistle blower protection policy in place.
- Living wage is paid.
- Has an established program that invests in employee growth and development.
- Use transparent and truthful marketing.
- Advocate for green business practices in your industry.
- Established program for receiving input from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Projects serving low to moderate income communities.
- Accessibility for all people is an integral part of the design process.
- Actively seeks feedback from industry peers and participates in industry associations and mentor programs.
- HVAC system well-maintained, building well-insulated, and smart and efficient climate control employed
- System in place for reducing electricity consumption from lighting and electronics.
- Use of Energy Star rated appliances and CFL/LED light bulbs in office.
- Use of 100% post-consumer recycled, Chlorine Free paper in the office and in all envelopes, marketing, and print materials.
- Systems in place for reducing paper use such as electronic processes, printers set with double sided printing as the default, and more.
- Use of only non-toxic cleaning and pest control products.
- Maximum amount of waste is reused or recycled including paper, plastic, metals, glass, electronics, and printer ink cartridges.
- Action on clean energy such as purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) or use of on-site clean energy.
- Compost all food waste.
- Landscaping done with sustainability in mind, especially considering runoff and stormwater management.
- Only fair trade and USDA certified organic coffee and tea served in the office.
- Use of green or local caterers for events.
- Use of a certified E-Steward for electronics recycling.