Includes carbon offsets; fuel; fuel additives; Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs); solar panel and wind turbine manufacturers and installers
- Business core purpose includes a “green” business function.
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on website.
- Helps consumers deal with on-site clean energy units such as solar panels when they reach the end of their lifetime.
- Biofuels and fuel additives are carbon neutral, do not compete for land used for food crops, and do not cause indirect land use change.
- Carbon offsets are real, verifiable, enforceable, permanent, and additional.
- RECs and carbon offsets are third-party verified.
- Detailed and responsible environmental management policy and/or procurement policy for all manufacturing processes and waste materials.
- Offers a take back program for solar panels.
Product Manufacturing (if applicable)
- Commitment to sustainable labor practices and continuous improvement and transparency in the process.
- Country of manufacture(s) disclosed on all products unless everything comes from one country and it is stated clearly on the front page of the website.
- Code of conduct in place that addresses social and environmental factory conditions with enforcement mechanism.
- Owned factories have an established worker representation mechanism.
- Owned factories pay a wage that ensures workers well-being.
- Commitment to a transparent supply chain including sub-contracting.
- Long-term contracts with contracted manufacturers.
- Employees have access to family friendly benefits including high-quality health insurance, sick days, paid parental leave and childcare help.
- Offer a flexible workplace culture that encourages work/life balance and makes reasonable accommodations for telecommuting and flex schedules.
- Pays a wage that ensures employees well-being.
- Has an established non-discrimination policy and procedure, and ensures an inclusive workplace culture.
- Governs fairly and in a transparent manner. Is open to employee input. Has a whistle blower protection policy in place.
- Living wage is paid.
- Has an established program that invests in employee growth and development.
- Use transparent and truthful marketing.
- Advocate for green business practices in your industry.
- Established program for receiving input from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Projects serving low to moderate income communities.
- Actively seeks feedback from industry peers and participates in industry associations and mentor programs.
- HVAC system well-maintained, building well-insulated, and smart and efficient climate control employed.
- System in place for reducing electricity consumption from lighting and electronics.
- Use of Energy Star rated appliances and CFL/LED light bulbs in office.
- Use of 100% post-consumer recycled, Chlorine Free paper in the office and in all envelopes, marketing, and print materials.
- Systems in place for reducing paper use such as electronic processes, printers set with double sided printing as the default, and more.
- Use of only non-toxic cleaning and pest control products.
- Maximum amount of waste is reused or recycled including paper, plastic, metals, glass, electronics, and printer ink cartridges.
- Action on clean energy such as purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) or use of on-site clean energy.
- Compost all food waste.
- Landscaping done with sustainability in mind, especially considering runoff and stormwater management.
- Only fair trade and USDA certified organic coffee and tea served in the office.
- Use of green or local caterers for events.
- Use of a certified E-Steward for electronics recycling.