Includes domestic travel; ecotourism; guiding; travel information
- Business core purpose includes a “green” business function.
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on website.
- Minimizes negative impact on environmental and cultural resources.
- Builds environmental awareness and respect.
- Empowers travelers to reduce their environmental impact through education on eco-friendly travel specific to location.
- Uses or encourages low-impact lodging and has criteria and method for evaluation.
- Provides resources on sustainable travel and destinations on website.
- Recognizes and empowers the rights and spiritual beliefs of Indigenous People in host countries.
- Raises sensitivity to host countries' political, cultural, and social climates.
- Activities and behavior and respectful of local cultures.
- Guides have been vetted and well-trained in line with company values.
- Engages in traveler’s philanthropy to provide direct financial benefits for ecosystem conservation, community welfare and/or cultural resource conservation.
- Tours use eco-friendly modes of transportation.
- Employees have access to family friendly benefits including high-quality health insurance, sick days, paid parental leave and childcare help.
- Offer a flexible workplace culture that encourages work/life balance and makes reasonable accommodations for telecommuting and flex schedules.
- Pays a wage that ensures employees well-being.
- Has an established non-discrimination policy and procedure, and ensures an inclusive workplace culture.
- Governs fairly and in a transparent manner. Is open to employee input. Has a whistle blower protection policy in place.
- Living wage is paid.
- Has an established program that invests in employee growth and development.
- Use transparent and truthful marketing.
- Advocate for green business practices in your industry.
- Established program for receiving input from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Actively seeks feedback from industry peers and participates in industry associations and mentor programs.
- HVAC system well-maintained, building well-insulated, and smart and efficient climate control employed.
- System in place for reducing electricity consumption from lighting and electronics.
- Use of Energy Star rated appliances and CFL/LED light bulbs in office.
- Use of 100% post-consumer recycled, Chlorine Free paper in the office and in all envelopes, marketing, and print materials.
- Systems in place for reducing paper use such as electronic processes, printers set with double sided printing as the default, and more.
- Use of only non-toxic cleaning and pest control products.
- Maximum amount of waste is reused or recycled including paper, plastic, metals, glass, electronics, and printer ink cartridges.
- Action on clean energy such as purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) or use of on-site clean energy.
- Compost all food waste (including from events).
- Landscaping done with sustainability in mind, especially considering runoff and stormwater management.
- Only fair trade and USDA certified organic coffee and tea served in the office.
- Use of green or local caterers for events.
- Use of a certified E-Steward for electronics recycling.