WASHINGTON, DC—April 20, 2016— Building on growing bipartisan momentum, Green America, the nation’s leading green economy organization, will continue to promote Clean Energy Victory Bonds in Congress. An amendment to the Senate Energy Bill (S. 2012) proposed by Senator Udall (D-N.M.) that would advance Clean Energy Victory Bonds did not achieve 60 votes as needed, but did receive growing bipartisan support yesterday in a vote of 50-47. A separate Clean Energy Victory Bonds bill was introduced in the House in 2015 by Representatives Matsui and Lofgren and is supported by a growing list of sponsors.
Clean Energy Victory Bonds would allow all Americans to invest as little as $25 in Treasury Bonds and raise $50 billion to advance the clean energy economy nationwide. Tens of thousands of Americans and over one hundred businesses and organizations support the passage of the bonds.
“Clean Energy Victory Bonds will allow all Americans an opportunity to invest through Treasury Bonds in a clean energy economy powered by solar and wind,” said Green America’s Co-Executive Director for Consumer and Corporate Engagement Todd Larsen. “We get frequent calls from consumers asking us when they can invest in Clean Energy Victory Bonds, and as public interest continues to grow, we know that Congress will respond and authorize the bonds.”
“The U.S. needs to grow the clean energy economy in order to remain competitive,” says Green America’s Co-Executive Director for Business, Investing, and Policy Fran Teplitz. “The clean energy economy fueled by Clean Energy Victory Bonds will provide over one million well-paying jobs, and provide a significant boost for businesses nationwide, keeping the U.S. a leader in clean energy worldwide.”
Clean Energy Victory Bonds provide the following benefits:
- Help create 1 million clean energy jobs nationwide.
- Enhance U.S. energy security by decreasing reliance on foreign oil.
- A safe investment available to all Americans starting at $25. Clean Energy Victory Bonds would be Treasury Bonds, backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government.
- Build U.S. businesses across the country that manufacture and install clean energy and energy efficiency technologies.
- Maintain the United States’ competitive advantage in clean energy technologies.
- Provide a revenue-neutral way for the U.S. Government to support clean energy and energy efficiency, since all the programs supported by the bonds will result in repayment to the U.S. government of funds lent out.
- Build the clean energy economy without raising taxes.
ABOUT GREEN AMERICA
Green America is the nation’s leading green economy organization. Founded in 1982, Green America provides the economic strategies, organizing power and practical tools for businesses and individuals to solve today's social and environmental problems. http://www.GreenAmerica.org.
MEDIA CONTACT: Max Karlin, (703) 276-3255 or email@example.com