Green America is a national, 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, membership organization founded in 1982. (We went by the name "Co-op America" until January 1, 2009.)
Our mission is to harness economic power—the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace—to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.
We work for a world where all people have enough, where all communities are healthy and safe, and where the bounty of the Earth is preserved for all the generations to come.
What Makes Green America Unique
- We focus on economic strategies—economic action to solve social and environmental problems.
- We mobilize people in their economic roles—as consumers, investors, workers, business leaders.
- We empower people to take personal and collective action
- We work on issues of social justice and environmental responsibility. We see these issues as completely linked in the quest for a sustainable world. It’s what we mean when we say “green.”
- We work to stop abusive practices and to create healthy, just, and sustainable practices.
Our democratically-constituted board is elected by our members from our consumer, business, and staff stakeholders. Green America operates as a collaborative and participatory workplace, where staff members reach consensus through democratic decision-making processes on key strategic issues for the organization.
Our Four Powerful Strategies
- Empowering individuals to make purchasing and investing choices that promote social justice and environmental sustainability;
- Demanding an end to corporate irresponsibility through collective economic action;
- Promoting green and fair trade business principles while building the market for businesses adhering to these principles;
- Building sustainable communities in the US and abroad.
Our staff and board »
History of Green America »
Policy on accepting company funds »
Our programs »