Includes: hemp-derived CBD products that are legally compliant (oils, salves, creams, etc.)
- Business core purpose includes a “green” business function.
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on its website.
- Banking with a community development, minority, or socially & environmentally responsible bank or credit union.
- Protocols in place (e.g., trainings, HR policies, support group(s), statement of commitment, accountability mechanisms, etc.) that advance justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) within the company.
- Complies with all applicable laws and regulations (local, state, federal)
- Complies with FD&C Act
- cannot be sold as dietary supplements
- cannot be added to food for animals or humans
- Website has FDA disclaimer
- Must comply with state/federal labeling requirements
Cultivation Practices of Hemp
- Maximizes biodiversity above and below ground, builds soil health towards resilient soil with the goal of reducing or eliminating synthetic fertilizer and pesticide applications (best if conducted an EIS)
- Enables water conservation, erosion prevention, and stormwater runoff reduction.
- Maximizes use of recycled materials in products and designs.
- Responsible environmental management/procurement policy or practices for all waste materials and manufacturing processes.
- Apply energy efficient technologies in indoor production facilities
- All seeds and inputs are non-GMO
- Transparency around seed sourcing
- Use of local sourcing when available
- Transparency around solvents used during extraction
- May not include any of the following:
- phthalates such as DBP, DEP, DEHP, BBzP, and DMP;
- chemicals ending or containing “sulfate” or “sulfosuccinate”;
- parabens or paraben preservatives; (chemicals ending in methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl);
- petroleum variations including: mineral oil, petrolatum, paraffin;
- nitrosamines (a group of potent carcinogens);
- synthetic alcohols, fragrances, and dyes.
- No animal testing and/or acquired Leaping Bunny cruelty-free certification.
- List complete ingredients online where product is sold.
- No nanotechnology, e.g. , particles below 100 nanometers. Green America is following Europe’s lead and using the Precautionary Principle until further research is complete on this topic.
- Scented with only natural essential oils.
- No chlorine bleaching.
- Produced using certified organic hemp (best if by third party certification such as Clean Green Certified)
- If animal-based ingredients are used they are derived from sources that are ethical and produced in a way that supports biodiversity and the integrity of the food system (lanolin, honey, milk, stearates, beeswax).
- Use of Fair-Trade ingredients (shea butter, olive oil, sugar, essential oils).
- In formulating sunscreen, use only mineral ingredients.
- Products are tested in third party laboratories to verify purity and potency
- Company has traceback/recall protocols in place
- Product is stored in safe environment
- Use of child-proof containers
Manufacturing of CBD Products
- Commitment to sustainable labor practices and continuous improvement and transparency in the process.
- Country of manufacture disclosed on all products unless everything comes from one country and it is stated clearly on the front page of the website.
- Code of conduct in place that addresses social and environmental factory conditions with enforcement mechanism.
- Owned factories have an established worker representation mechanism.
- Owned factories pay a wage that ensures workers well-being.
- Commitment to a transparent supply chain including sub-contracting.
- Long-term contracts with contracted manufacturers.
- Owned and/or contracted factories are certified fair labor or fair trade.
- Owned/contracted factories are unionized.
- Disclosed factory list publicly available.
- Factory labor is paid a living a wage.
- Environmentally and socially positive packaging.
- Packaging is recyclable or compostable.
- Packaging components are from recycled sources and used at minimum.
- Packaging can be taken back for reuse.
- Offers opportunity for refills or receives containers such as bottles for reuse.
- Employees have access to family friendly benefits including high-quality health insurance, sick days, paid parental leave and childcare help.
- Offer a flexible workplace culture that encourages work/life balance and makes reasonable accommodations for telecommuting and flex schedules.
- Pays a wage that ensures employees well-being.
- Has an established non-discrimination policy and procedure, and ensures an inclusive workplace culture.
- Governs fairly and in a transparent manner. Is open to employee input. Has a whistle blower protection policy in place.
- Living wage is paid.
- Has an established program that invests in employee growth and development.
- Educates consumers on how to properly dispose of product at end of life-cycle.
- Use transparent and truthful marketing.
- Advocate for green business practices in the CBD industry.
- Established program for receiving input from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Established take back program for end of product life-cycle.
- Actively seeks feedback from industry peers and participates in industry associations and mentor programs.
- HVAC system well-maintained, building well-insulated, and smart and efficient climate control employed.
- System in place for reducing electricity consumption from lighting and electronics.
- Use of Energy Star rated appliances and CFL/LED light bulbs in office.
- Use of 100% post-consumer recycled, Chlorine Free paper in the office and in all envelopes, marketing, and print materials.
- Systems in place for reducing paper use such as electronic processes, printers set with double sided printing as the default, and more.
- Use of only non-toxic cleaning and pest control products.
- Maximum amount of waste is reused or recycled including paper, plastic, metals, glass, electronics, and printer ink cartridges.
- Action on clean energy such as purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) or use of on-site clean energy.
- Compost all food waste.
- Landscaping done with sustainability in mind, especially considering runoff and stormwater management.
- Only fair trade and USDA certified organic coffee and tea served in the office.
- Use of green or local caterers for events.
- Use of a certified E-Steward for electronics recycling.
- Proper disposal of hazardous materials (e.g., batteries, paint, motor oil, etc).
- Knowledge of recycling/composting guidelines at your local recycling/composting facility.