Includes bed and breakfasts; campsites
- Business core purpose includes a “green” business function.
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on website.
- Uses green cleaning products; discusses what makes them green on their website.
- At least half the food served is USDA organic or local; food served is non-GMO.
- Takes concrete steps to save energy and use the least toxic versions of paint, furniture and flooring.
- Exclusive use of green cleaners.
- Serves fair trade beverages.
- Local procurement of goods whenever possible.
- Employees and contractors have access to family friendly benefits including high-quality health insurance, sick days, paid parental leave and childcare help.
- Pays a wage that ensures employees and contractors well-being.
- Has an established non-discrimination policy and procedure, and ensures an inclusive workplace culture.
- Governs fairly and in a transparent manner. Is open to employee input. Has a whistle blower protection policy in place.
- Living wage is paid.
- Has an established program that invests in employee growth and development.
- Use transparent and truthful marketing.
- Advocate for green business practices in your industry.
- Established program for receiving input from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Actively seeks feedback from industry peers and participates in industry associations and mentor programs.
- HVAC system well-maintained, building well-insulated, and smart and efficient climate control employed.
- System in place for reducing electricity consumption from lighting and electronics.
- Use of Energy Star rated appliances and CFL/LED light bulbs in office.
- Use of 100% post-consumer recycled, Chlorine Free paper in the office and in all envelopes, marketing, and print materials.
- Systems in place for reducing paper use such as electronic processes, printers set with double sided printing as the default, and more.
- Use of only non-toxic cleaning and pest control products.
- Maximum amount of waste is reused or recycled including paper, plastic, metals, glass, electronics, and printer ink cartridges.
- Action on clean energy such as purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) or use of on-site clean energy.
- Compost all food waste.
- Landscaping done with sustainability in mind, especially considering runoff and stormwater management.
- Only fair trade and USDA certified organic coffee and tea served in the office.
- Use of green or local caterers for events.
- Use of a certified E-Steward for electronics recycling.