Includes ; industrial, business, residential; municipal; pick up, residential and commercial services; textile recycling; manufacturers of containers for recycling
- Business core purpose includes a “green” business function.
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on its website.
Maximum amount of material diverted from landfills and incinerators.
Takes steps to ensure domestic re-manufacturing of recycled materials.
Recycled materials are not shipped overseas for processing.
Only recycles electronics with or as a certified E-Steward.
Working towards traceability of collected materials throughout lifecycle.
Reuseable materials donated to local charitable organizations.
Collection containers are made of post-consumer recycled material or pre-consumer recycled material.
Transportation and shipping with low GHG emissions.
Employees have access to family friendly benefits including high-quality health insurance, sick days, paid parental leave and childcare help.
Workers receive adequate safety training and exposure to hazardous materials is minimized.
Offer a flexible workplace culture that encourages work/life balance and makes reasonable accommodations for telecommuting and flex schedules.
Pays a wage that ensures employees well-being.
Has an established non-discrimination policy and procedure, and ensures an inclusive workplace culture.
Governs fairly and in a transparent manner. Is open to employee input. Has a whistle blower protection policy in place.
- Living wage is paid.
- Has an established program that invests in employee growth and development.
- Education or resources for customers on importance and methods for recycling, also on what can be recycled.
- Use transparent and truthful marketing.
- Advocate for green business practices in your industry.
- Established program for receiving input from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Actively seeks feedback from industry peers and participates in industry associations and mentor programs.
- HVAC system well-maintained, building well-insulated, and smart and efficient climate control employed.
- System in place for reducing electricity consumption from lighting and electronics.
- Use of Energy Star rated appliances and CFL/LED light bulbs in office.
- Use of 100% post-consumer recycled, Chlorine Free paper in the office and in all envelopes, marketing, and print materials.
- Systems in place for reducing paper use such as electronic processes, printers set with double sided printing as the default, and more.
- Use of only non-toxic cleaning and pest control products.
- Maximum amount of waste is reused or recycled including paper, plastic, metals, glass, electronics, and printer ink cartridges.
- Action on clean energy such as purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) or use of on-site clean energy.
- Compost all food waste (including from events).
- Landscaping done with sustainability in mind, especially considering runoff and stormwater management.
- Only fair trade and USDA certified organic coffee and tea served in the office.
- Use of green or local caterers for events.
- Use of a certified E-Steward for electronics recycling.