Includes ; industrial, business, residential; municipal; pick up, residential and commercial services; textile recycling; manufacturers of containers for recycling
- Business core purpose includes a “green” business function.
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on its website.
- Banking with a community development, minority, or socially & environmentally responsible bank or credit union.
- Protocols in place (e.g., trainings, HR policies, support group(s), statement of commitment, accountability mechanisms, etc.) that advance justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) within the company.
Maximum amount of material diverted from landfills and incinerators.
Takes steps to ensure domestic re-manufacturing of recycled materials.
Recycled materials are not shipped overseas for processing.
Only recycles electronics with or as a certified E-Steward.
Working towards traceability of collected materials throughout lifecycle.
Reuseable materials donated to local charitable organizations.
Collection containers are made of post-consumer recycled material or pre-consumer recycled material.
Transportation and shipping with low GHG emissions.
- Employees have access to family friendly benefits including high-quality health insurance, sick days, paid parental leave and childcare help.
- Workers receive adequate safety training and exposure to hazardous materials is minimized.
- Offer a flexible workplace culture that encourages work/life balance and makes reasonable accommodations for telecommuting and flex schedules.
- Pays a wage that ensures employees well-being.
- Has an established non-discrimination policy and procedure, and ensures an inclusive workplace culture.
- Governs fairly and in a transparent manner. Is open to employee input. Has a whistle blower protection policy in place.
- Living wage is paid.
- Has an established program that invests in employee growth and development.
- Education or resources for customers on importance and methods for recycling, also on what can be recycled.
- Use transparent and truthful marketing.
- Advocate for green business practices in your industry.
- Established program for receiving input from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Actively seeks feedback from industry peers and participates in industry associations and mentor programs.
- HVAC system well-maintained, building well-insulated, and smart and efficient climate control employed.
- System in place for reducing electricity consumption from lighting and electronics.
- Use of Energy Star rated appliances and CFL/LED light bulbs in office.
- Use of 100% post-consumer recycled, Chlorine Free paper in the office and in all envelopes, marketing, and print materials.
- Systems in place for reducing paper use such as electronic processes, printers set with double sided printing as the default, and more.
- Use of only non-toxic cleaning and pest control products.
- Maximum amount of waste is reused or recycled including paper, plastic, metals, glass, electronics, and printer ink cartridges.
- Action on clean energy such as purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) or use of on-site clean energy.
- Compost all food waste (including from events).
- Landscaping done with sustainability in mind, especially considering runoff and stormwater management.
- Only fair trade and USDA certified organic coffee and tea served in the office.
- Use of green or local caterers for events.
- Use of a certified E-Steward for electronics recycling.
- Proper disposal of hazardous materials (e.g., batteries, paint, motor oil, etc).
- Knowledge of recycling/composting guidelines at your local recycling/composting facility.