Jump to Big Lots: Alerts;
• Big Lots Inc. runs a chain of more than 1,375 discount variety stores in 47 states and offers a surplus of consumer products at discounted rates.
• Urban sprawl, pollution from increased traffic, threats to local businesses, and the deterioration of communities are all symptoms of the big box store culture.
• Executives at Big Lots received bonuses outside the guidelines set by the company board.
• Big Lots settled the sexual harrasment claims of five women who alleged they were subject to a sexually hostile work environment and retaliation once they reported the discrimination.
• Use Go Green to find local stores and support green businesses.
-- Profile Updated 08/04/2010
About Big Lots
Big Lots Inc. runs a chain of more than 1,375 discount variety stores in 47 states. Based in Columbus, Ohio, the company employs 43,985 people and recorded sales of $4.743 billion in 2006.
Big Lots, Inc. - Rancho Dominguez, CA
Contact Big Lots
P.O. Box 28512
Columbus, OH 43228-0512 USA
In 2003, Big Lots agreed to pay $10 million to settle claims brought by California store managers who claimed they were denied overtime pay. A similar lawsuit was filed in 200y by managers in Texas.
-- Business Journal, 11/15/2004
Ethics and Governance
In 2006, Big Lots CEO Steven S. Fishman earned $3,989,590 in total compensation according to the SEC. His earnings are equal to that of the salaries 372 minimum-wage workers combined.
-- AFL-CIO, 02/19/2007
In 2005, executives of Big Lots received bonuses outside the guidelines set by the company board. These bonuses were given out despite the fact that they did not meet the performance criteria outlined by the compensation committee.
-- CorpWatch, 05/31/2006