• Avon Products is a supplier and manufacturer of cosmetics, perfumes, and jewelry.
• Avon refuses to sign the Compact for Safe Cosmetics, a pledge to remove carcinogens and other harmful ingredients from beauty and personal care products.
• Avon's answer to concerns over hazardous products has been to sponsor a public relations campaign to increase breast cancer awareness and raise funds for research. However, Avon's fundraising activities have come under fire for lack of transparency.
• Check out Go Green to find safe and sustainable cosmetic and body care products.
-- Profile Updated 08/04/2010
Headquartered in New York City, Avon Products is a supplier and manufacturer of cosmetics, perfumes, and jewelry which it sells door-to-door, via the Internet and catalogs, and from kiosks. In 2006, Avon products recorded sales of $8.76 billion, employing 49,700 people.
Tell Avon You Want Summer to be Fabulous and Safe
Many of the ingredients of Avon's summer products such as shaving cream and hair minimizing lotion have been linked to cancer and reproductive problems. Avon knows many of the ingredients in its products are harmful, but the company claims the amounts are too small to matter. However, with the average person using 10 to 12 personal care products, these small amounts of harmful ingredients start to add up. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is urging consumers to call and write a letter to Avon asking them to make their products safe.
Investor Environmental Health Network
The Investor Environmental Health Network heads a campaign to secure sustainable long-term returns on investments by making sure companies are actively reducing the risks associated with toxic chemicals in their products…
The Investor Environmental Health Network heads a campaign to secure sustainable long-term returns on investments by making sure companies are actively reducing the risks associated with toxic chemicals in their products. The campaign asks that companies keep investors fully informed of any toxics risks and calls on investors to engage in shareholder activism through resolutions where appropriate.
Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
Everyday products such as shampoo, deodorant and make-up contain chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects and other serious health consequences. Cosmetics manufacturers are allowed to use almost any chemical as an ingredient without government approval; however, some leading companies agree that cosmetics should be made with safe, non-toxic ingredients. Over 600 companies have signed the Compact for Safe Cosmetics, a pledge to make safe products and the campaign is calling for all cosmetics companies to do the same.
Avon - Villepinte, France
- Avon Canada, Inc. (Subsidiary) - Pointe-Claire, Canada
- Avon Cosmeticas, Ltd. - Lisbon, Portugal
Avon Cosmeticas, Ltd. - Lisbon, Portugal
- Avon Cosmeticos, Ltda. - Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Avon Cosmetics (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. - Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
- Avon Cosmetics (Thailand) Ltd. - Bangkok, Thailand
- Avon Cosmetics de Venezuela, C.A. - Caracas, Venezuela
- Avon Cosmetics GmbH - Neufahrn, Germany
- Avon Cosmetics Limited - Northampton, United Kingdom
- Avon Cosmetics Ltd. - Auckland, New Zealand
- Avon Cosmetics, Inc. - Makati, Philippines
- Avon Cosmetics, S.A. - Alcala de Henares, Spain
- Avon Cosmetics, S.A. de C.V. - Mexico, Mexico
- Avon Cosmetics, S.p.A. - Como, Italy
- Avon Foundation - New York, NY
- Avon International Operations - New York, NY
- Avon Manufacturing Lab - Morton Grove, IL
- Avon Manufacturing Lab - Springdale, OH
- Avon Products Co., Ltd. - Tokyo, Japan
- Avon Products Inc - Suffern, NY
- Avon Products Manufacturing, Inc. - Laguna, Philippines
- Avon Products Pty. Ltd. - Sydney, Australia
- Avon Products, Inc. - New York, NY
- Avon Products, Inc. - San Juan, PR
- Avon Products, Inc., U.S. Direct Selling Division (Subsidiary) - New York, NY
- Avon Retail Group - New York, NY
- Avon Sales & Distribution Branch - Glenview, IL
- Avon Sales & Distribution Branch - Newark, DE
- Avon Sales & Distribution Branch - Pasadena, CA
- Avon Sales & Distribution Branch - Springdale, OH
- Avon Sales & Distribution Branch - Suwanee, GA
- Avon-Lomalinda Inc. - San Sebastian, PR
- Cosmeticos Avon S.A. - Santiago, Chile
- Cosmeticos Avon, S.A.C.I. - Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Productos Avon de Guatemala S.A. - Guatemala, Guatemala
- Productos Avon, S.A. - Lima, Peru
- Productos Avon, S.A. - San Pedro Sula, Honduras
- Productos Avon, S.A. - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
New York, NY 10105-0196 USA
Health and Safety
At the 2006 shareholders meeting Domini Social Investments, the As You Sow Foundation, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, called on the company "to prepare a report analyzing and articulating Avon’s policy on using safer substitutes for chemicals that are known or suspected carcinogens, mutagens, and reproductive toxicants, as well as chemicals that affect the endocrine system, accumulate in the body, or persist in the environment."
-- Interfaith Center for Corporate Responsibility, 05/04/2006
Source URL: www.iehn.org/?q=node/19
Avon continues to use carcinogenic additives in its make-up and personal care products, despite public campaigns to fight breast cancer. In 2005 Avon shareholders brought forth and voted on a resolution calling on the company to formulate all of its products to meet the European Union’s stringent standards, eliminating all substances that are banned by "European Union Directive 2003/15/EC."
-- Interfaith Center for Corporate Responsibility, 06/25/1905
Ethics and Governance
Avon achieved a score of 60 (up from 30 the year before) on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) 2008 Corporate Equality Index which rates large corporations on policies that affect their gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees, consumers and investors. The 2008 HRC Corporate Equality Index rated companies on a scale of 0 to 100 percent.
-- Human Rights Campaign, 09/17/2007
According to the Social Investment Research Analyst Network, ten years after the Federal Glass Ceiling Commission recommended disclosure of diversity data as a way to remove barriers and promote women and minority advancement, most US companies still fail to voluntarily disclose EEO data to the public. Avon is listed as one of the companies that does not provide full public disclosure. Rather, disclosure of EEO data is made upon request.
-- Social Investment Research Analyst Network (SIRAN), 12/07/2005
Source URL: www.siran.org/eeo1.php
Trillium Asset Management, Follow The Money Alliance and other socially responsible investing organizations appealed to Avon shareholders to demand more transparency regarding the company’s “Breast Cancer Crusade.” Uncertainties remain about the final destination of money generated through the company’s breast cancer walks and critics doubt that the proportion of funds allocated to actual breast cancer research is equal to the amount advertised by Avon and want more information from the company.
-- Common Dreams Newswire, 05/04/2005
Source URL: www.commondreams.org/news2005/0504-13.htm
Avon is listed in a Government Accounting Office database of more than 900 publicly traded companies that have restated their financial results because of accounting irregularities since the beginning of 1997. Avon was listed for a 2000 restatement for issues related to cost or expense.
-- Government Accounting Office
Source URL: www.gao.gov