Jump to J. Crew : Alerts;
• J. Crew has been accused of sourcing from a factory in Saipan where workers labored in sweatshop-like conditions, and was part of a $20 million settlement based on these accusations .
• Additonally, J. Crew has sourced from a factory in China that illegally discharged waste for two years.
• The company has also produced coats with Teflon, a toxic chemical.
• You can be fashionable without exploiting people or the planet. Visit Go Green or tips and information on how to find sustainable clothing.
-- Profile Updated 03/28/2011
About J. Crew
J. Crew manufactures men’s and women’s clothing, which it sells through its website and 240 retail and outlet stores. The New York-based company, recorded sales of $1.15 billion and employed 7,600 people.
America West Airlines, Inc. (Subsidiary) - Tempe, AZ
- America West Holdings Corporation - Tempe, AZ
- Bally Australia Pty. Ltd. - Saint Peters, Australia
Bally Australia Pty. Ltd. - Saint Peters, Australia
- Bally France SAS - Paris, France
- Bally Gesellschaft mbH - Vienna, Austria
- Bally Group (U.K.) Ltd. - London, United Kingdom
- Bally Hong Kong Ltd. - Kowloon, China (Hong Kong)
- Bally Management AG (Branch) - Caslano, Switzerland
- Bally North America, Inc. (Subsidiary) - New York, NY
- Bally Schuhfabriken AG - Caslano, Switzerland
- Bally Shoe Co. Ltd. - London, United Kingdom
- Bally Singapore (Pte.) Ltd. - Singapore, Singapore
- Bally UK Sales Ltd. - London, United Kingdom
- Burger King (UK) Limited - Uxbridge, United Kingdom
- Burger King Corporation (Branch) - Miami, FL
- Burger King Corporation (Subsidiary) - Miami, FL
- Burger King Ltd. - Uxbridge, United Kingdom
- Burger King Restaurant of Canada, Inc. - Toronto, Canada
- Chaussures Bally Moulins SA - Moulins, France
- Chaussures Bally Villeurbanne SA - Villeurbanne, France
- Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. - Bologna, Italy
- Evergreen Restaurant Group (Division) - Houston, TX
- Gate Gourmet International (Subsidiary) - Memphis, TN
- Iasis Healthcare Corporation (Parent) - Franklin, TN
- J. Crew Group, Inc. (Branch) - New York, NY
- Kraton Polymers (Subsidiary) - Houston, TX
- MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc. (Subsidiary) - Saint Peters, MO
- MEMC Pasadena Inc. (Subsidiary) - Pasadena, TX
- MEMC Southwest Inc. - Sherman, TX
- SMART Modular Technologies (PR), Inc. - Aguada, PR
- SMART Modular Technologies, Inc. - Fremont, CA
- Taisil Electronic Materials Corporation - Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Texas Pacific Group (Parent) - Fort Worth, TX
Contact J. Crew
New York, NY 10003 USA
As of 2007, 86 percent of merchandise was made is Asia while only 4 percent was made in the USA.
-- Knowmore, Inc., 01/01/2007
Source URL: knowmore.org/wiki/index.php?title=J.Crew
J. Crew was one of the retailers part of a $20 million dollar settlement for violations of labor laws and international human rights standards on the island of Saipan, which is part of the U.S. Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Workers reported working 12 hours a day, seven days a week for less than $3.05 an hour. They also reported signing "shadow contracts" that waived many basic human rights.
-- Clean Clothes Campaign, 01/08/2004
Source URL: www.cleanclothes.org/legal/04-01-08.htm
-- Forest Ethics, 12/09/2009
Xinhua, a Chinese textile firm that supplies J.Crew, was fined $1.4 million for the discharge of illegal sewage over the past two years. The company is said to have released over ten million tons of waste through an underground pipe over the last two years.
-- Corporate Social Responsibility in Asia, 08/30/2006
Health and Safety
J Crew men’s barn coat contains Teflon, a synthetic material composed of chemicals (PFCs and/or PFOCs) that contaminate human blood and can cause polymer fume fever when burnt at relatively low temperatures.
-- Environmental Working Group, 01/01/2004
Source URL: www.ewg.org