Jump to Warnaco: Alerts;
Our research on this company has uncovered a couple of negative workplace and labor issues most notably concerning Sweatshop Labor and Executive Compensation. Additionally, there is a positive social item concerning Ethics.
-- Profile Updated 07/06/2010
Warnaco manufactures underwear, swimwear and menswear which it sells through department stores and its own discount stores. The New York City-based company employed 12,377 people and recorded sales of $1.26 billion in 2003. In 2001 Warnaco filed for bankruptcy.
Authentic Fitness Corp. - East Coast Region - New York, NY
- Authentic Fitness Corporation (Subsidiary) - Los Angeles, CA
- Catalina - Los Angeles, CA
Catalina - Los Angeles, CA
- Chaps By Ralph Lauren - New York, NY
- Olga Division - New York, NY
- Warnaco Inc.-Menswear Div. - New York, NY
- Warnaco of Canada Limited - Prescott, Canada
- Warner's (United Kingdom) Limited - Nottingham, United Kingdom
- Warner's Aiglon, S.A. - Paris, France
- Warner's de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. - Toluca, Mexico
New York, NY 10018 USA
In 2000 Warnaco was one of eight companies to settle claims against them in a federal class-action lawsuit alleging that their garments are made in factories with sweatshop conditions on the US island of Saipan. The retailers agreed to pay a total of eight million dollars to settle the case brought against them.
-- Agence France-Presse, 03/29/2000
Source URL: none available
Ethics and Governance
Warnaco is listed in a Government Accounting Office database of more than 900 publicly traded companies that have restated their financial results because of accounting irregularities since the beginning of 1997. Warnaco was listed for a 2001 restatement for revenue recognition related issues.
-- Government Accounting Office
Source URL: www.gao.gov